Caterpillar- Butterfly Debrief
Type of Activity: Processing / Closure
Props Needed: There are a couple of different props that can aid in the visual and tactile impact of the activity. There is a Caterpillar/Butterfly reversible puppet made by Folkmanis.
There is also a set of plastic pieces called the Butterfly Life Cycle stages. There are 4 small plastic pieces to the set that represent the 4 stages of the butterfly: egg, larva, chrysalis, and butterfly. The pieces are accurate replicas and are large enough to handle nicely. You could also print off pictures of the four stages.
Concept: This Debriefing Tool aids in discussion about Change.
There are four stages to the life cycle of a butterfly: egg, larva, chrysalis, and butterfly. Groups/Individuals go through many stages throughout their experiences. Using the stages of the butterfly can aid discussions around the different stages they are going through. This activity is much like the Caterpillar/Butterfly Debrief except it talks about the 4 stages of the butterfly.
Process: Demonstrate the miracle of metamorphosis and change with this ingenious reversible caterpillar/butterfly plush tool or the Butterfly Life Cycle set.
Have the group sit in a circle and talk about how a butterfly becomes a butterfly. Go through all of the stages and have the group make comparisons to the stages of the butterfly to the stages that the group/individual is going through.
The concept of Change is a great concept to talk about with this activity. Any groups or individuals going through some kind of change can make comparisons between themselves and the stages of the butterfly. Pass the tools around the circle as you talk about the different stages and let them look and touch it.
- Change takes time, it doesn't happen overnight, much like the caterpillar becoming a butterfly.
- Caterpillars come in different shapes and sizes. Some are beautiful and furry, others are bald and deemed ugly.
- Butterflies come in different shapes, sizes, and colors.
- In the Caterpillar stage it takes a long time to get from place to place. Once change takes place you can spread your wings and fly.
- For the caterpillar's change to take place, it has to go into a cocoon state, away from others for his change happen. Much like a recovery center or counseling session.
For more resources see: A Teachable Moment, Caterpillar/Butterfly Debriefing Tool, Butterfly Life Cycle
Material in this Online Games Database is copyrighted. Copyright © Training Wheels or by the author who submitted the activity. Permission needed to copy or reproduce.