Four Corners of the Earth
Type of Activity: Get To Know You
Props Needed: Webbing
Process: There are two varieties of Raccoon Circle arrangements for this activity. For large groups, as shown on the left, you can divide the floor space available with four untied full length Raccoon Circle webbing strips, or for smaller groups, you can create four Raccoon Circles separated by a small distance. With the facilitator standing in the middle of the group, identify four distinct classifications, and ask participants to join the quadrant that they most identify with.
For example, if the classification is music, the four quadrants might be: rock, rap, country, and classical. After participants join a group, ask the group to discuss why they chose this particular group. The facilitator can also ask the group to act out a song, or sing a line from a piece of music in their category. Additional Classifications are shown below, along with suggestions for discussion and additional activities for each category.
- Sports (Basketball, Soccer, Volleyball, Gymnastics)
- Create a cheer for your sport.
- Vacation Locations (Beach, Mountains, Big City, Ocean Cruise)
- Discuss what you’ll bring along
- Food (Hamburgers, Chicken Salad, Tuna Veggie Burger) Or something a big more unusual such as:(Coos Coos, Sushi, Broccoli, Mountain Oysters)
- Discuss what goes along with each food.
- Vehicles (pickup truck, sports car, mini van, limo)
- Discuss color, features and optional equipment.
- Travel (North, East, South, West)
- Discuss what you would bring with you to these locations.
- News (Newspaper, Radio, Television, Internet)
- Discuss recent events and issues.
- What surprised you about this activity?
- Did you often find yourself in the same corner with the same people?
- What did you learn about others today?
For original write up purchase "Book of Raccoon Circles" by Cain & Smith.
Material in this Online Games Database is copyrighted. Copyright © Training Wheels or by the author who submitted the activity. Permission needed to copy or reproduce.