Type of Activity: Processing, Consensus
Props Needed: One thumb per participant.
Concept: To aid participants in consensus voting. See Consensus Cards for more consensus activities.
Process: Explain what consensus is to the group.
Next, demonstrate the three positions of the thumb and what each position means.
- Thumbs Up: I agree with the decision
- Thumbs Sideways: It wouldn't be my first choice, but I will fully participate and support the group.
- Thumbs Down: I do not agree. We need to discuss further.
Help the group understand that consensus is arrived when there are no participants with a Thumbs Down. If there is one Thumbs Down you have majority rules, not Consensus.
- How did the Consensus Thumbs process aid your decision?
- What is most helpful to you using Consensus Thumbs?
- How can you use this tool after this program?
For more resources see: A Teachable Moment
Material in this Online Games Database is copyrighted. Copyright © Training Wheels or by the author who submitted the activity. Permission needed to copy or reproduce.